Quilt Along Joy and Other Fabric Shenanigans




I joined Southern Charm Quilts and Havel's Sewing for their Little Miss Sawtooth Quilt Along just for the heck of it.  Something crafty with a bit of direction to keep me in the fabric game while in the throes of heavy duty school demands.

But then I started collecting fabric for the project, and my creative juices began to surge with the potential of it.  I especially loved the idea of choosing bright and bold fabrics instead of the low volume prints that so many participants in the quilt project showcase.


And then the first blocks were released, and, holy cow, am I hooked!
I'm not sure what it is about this quilt along, but it's been so much FUN!  I think part of that is the fact that you just can't go wrong with star blocks.  Who doesn't love a star block?

The quilt along called for completed flying geese blocks the first week, but I decided to complete them with each block instead.  I wasn't ready to commit to the star point colors yet, so I decided to go block-by-block.  My collection of purple and violet prints make for a beautiful background, if I do say so myself.

First came Millie.  
I decided to showcase some beautiful Bari J. fabric in the center, and I took a chance with the vibrant light green Moda Grunge star print.  I love the dynamic effect of the two fabrics!


Then came Josephine.  
A burst of floral in the center with some geometric star points.  It was a serendipitous moment when I accidentally chose just the perfect fabrics and ended up with an unexpectedly awesome block.


Finally, Sadie.  
I went with a montage of chaotic florals in the four blocks for the center.  I alternate between loving the flowery busy-ness of it and wondering if I should do another block with a bit more controlled use of floral prints, big and small, maybe.  Also, the dark teal star points blend a bit too well with the purple dot fabric.  I would like to see a bit more contrast of colors going on there.


One thing I love about the quilt along experience is that I learn a new technique every time.  This no-waste flying geese technique from Melanie Traylor at Southern Charm Quilts turns a cumbersome task into a much more efficient one...for both time and fabric use.


Keeping it real: this was the scene on my crafting table...which also functions as our dining room table.  There were obviously no sit-down family meals taking place during the quilt-along frenzy.  Thank goodness for an understanding husband and son!


I was so excited to see the next blocks released this Friday morning, and I couldn't wait to make it home from school to choose my fabrics for the Ava block.  My intent was to choose fabrics and then work on some house cleaning for the weekend.  
I picked the fabrics, washed some dishes, and then suddenly was pulled into the sewing machine vortex.  
Kaffe Fassett provided an excellent center focal piece for this block.  I love how I unintentionally placed the shooting star fabrics to burst in different directions!


Of course, there is a side project in the works.  Katja Marek's The New Hexagon has become my go-to slow stitch resource.  I love the collection of blocks she offers.  I was trying my hand at different ones, and then felt the stars align for this block when joined with Moda, Anna Maria Horner, and Maureen Cracknell fabrics.


The colors...love them so much...deep, rich tones that remind me of dusk.


I've been working on this project for my daily dose of EPP.  Fifteen minutes a day, no matter what.  This stitching has happened during lunch most often.


From one to some.  I love the process of multiplying blocks for any slow stitching endeavor.  We have the power, with as little as fifteen minutes a day, to create some beauty in our lives.


 And summer turns to early fall, the weather changes, and beautiful moments like this happen.  I was tempted to chase after that pot of gold.


Time for a sewing kit refill.  This is probably the part I enjoy least...the basting.  The stitching together of parts is so much more gratifying.


 And then there was more than some!  
I am looking for just the right print to add some relief to the concentration of deep, bold prints.  I think I will work some basic hexagons into the mix.  Right now I am considering 
a geometric gold print.


 Okay, best purchase EVER right here.  I have been on the hunt for a new sewing kit.  My pencil tin is a bit too small, and the sewing kits I've found online are either too expensive or too not-my-choice-in-exterior-prints.  I had the bright idea to search for traveling cosmetic bags and and stumbled across this canvas one on Amazon.  It came with a pack of make-up brushes for which I will find another crafty purpose, and a mirror, which I removed.  


 It's so perfect.  And it's so purpley-violet.  My favorite color. 
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3ZLRLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 Although I did do some stitching while waiting for my kid's race to start, no fabric photo here.  
Just the human who makes me so darn proud 
and who fills my heart with love in spite of his ornery ways.
I'm a lucky mom.  Love this kid so much.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Miss Sawtooth- Part One

Little Miss Sawtooth--Part Two

Sawtooth Stars in the Night Sky