Little Miss Sawtooth- Part One


I think that every quilt is infused with memories--the life events during the creation, the people, the seasons, the motivation--just the process of it all.  I think that the Little Miss Sawtooth quilt along from Southern Charm Quilts and Havel's Sewing  was one of the most pleasant creative journeys I've had with a quilt.  My new favorite!  I love it so much!




My initial fabric selection.  I haven't done a fabric pull with past quilts...I generally just start a quilt and then follow where the fabric leads me.  This was fun, because I started to visualize the possibilities from the beginning.  I knew that I didn't want to go the low volume route.  So many in the quilt-along did, and their quilts are lovely, but I needed color.  Burst of vibrant color.  And how could I go wrong with these beautiful floral prints?  Joy!


It took me a while to figure out what my background colors would be.  At first I considered a rather tame color scheme.  The stars would have popped for sure, but it just felt too muted.
























It wasn't until the first blocks were released, and I went a bit crazy with some vibrant chartreuse Moda around the center block.  Suddenly, the scrappy purple background made perfect sense for Miss Millie, and my vision for the quilt solidified.  Most people had their flying geese blocks completed in that first week, but I didn't settle into my purple array to complete those until the halfway point.  When I make my next version of this quilt, I will have a better sense of the end goal to do that.

 Seriously, just looking at this block filled me with inspirational joy.  Isn't that center block absolutely beautiful.  Bari J. Ackerman is a creative genius.

I took a bit of a risk with the Miss Josephine block.  I played around with some low-key star points for the flying geese, but then I decided to try the geometric pinks.  Perfect!  And that lone blossom in the center.  I love it!  At this point, I was thoroughly hooked by this quilt-along.  It had become part of my regular routine.  

 This block?  Meh.  I didn't gaze longly at Miss Sadie after completion.  I think it served as a place keeper  while I finished the rest of the blocks in the months to come.  The star points...just a bit too dark.  The riot of color in the center.  Too much of a riot.  I knew I would eventually replace this one.




This was our kitchen table for the week.  The hubby and son were graciously supportive by eating in the living room with TV tables for the duration.  I loved this colorful mess.



 So much anticipation for the blocks to come!

 
I was afraid I would lose my mojo with fabric choices for the next round of blocks, but the muse was singing to me.  More vibrant hues for Miss Gabrielle.  I fell head over heels in love with this block!


Moda joy.  Love those purple polka dots!

And those shooting stars streaking past Kaffe Fasset in Miss Ava!  What's not to love?

The flannel went back up for the living room design wall (again, gratitude for a husband who supports a passion that takes over the house!) with accumulated star blocks along with some The New Hexagon multitasking blocks.  Hm.  I do gravitate towards the purple/violets.



 At this point, I was chomping at the bit for the next block pattern release.  Melanie Traylor had the best timing for the releases.  Every two weeks built the anticipation while providing the perfect momentum.  If I could quilt all day, it would have been tougher to patiently await the next release, but, alas, the full time job that occupies my time was a bit of a distraction on occasion.

Gorgeous fabric...happy days!

Still figuring out fabric choices for those star points in the flying geese.  I auditioned some bright pink for Miss Luciana, but I started thinking about a balance of star point colors for the overall quilt.


So the turquoise made the cut.


 At this point, I was feeling a bit more indecisive about color combos.  The Miss Brianna block gave me the biggest fits.

My work place wasn't nearly so chaotic at this point.  Just slightly chaotic.  The ceramic container was a Christmas gift of sourdough mix.  I decided it would have a second life as a scrap and thread container.



It was all about that tiny dark purple Moda star in the center. Once I settled on that, the rest of the pieces fell into line.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Miss Sawtooth--Part Two

Sawtooth Stars in the Night Sky