Springtime Sewing and Hiking Adventures




My son and husband planned a hike for Mother's Day today, and what a glorious day for a hike it was!  Beautiful blue skies, and the desert trails are in full bloom.  I am ever so grateful to live in an area with so many outdoor opportunities.  The quality time with my fourteen-year-old was the main event, of course.  I'm a lucky mom =).


I've been on a very weird pastel adventure these past couple of months.  First, there were the color choices in the kaleidoscope wall hanging that I completed last month, and now this project's pastel floral hues.  I was poking around on the Thousands of Bolts and Only One Nut website, and I saw a selection of floral prints.  I am a deep hues and bold print girl generally, so this is out of character for me.  But when the muse speaks, we must follow.  
I first played around with some more solid prints to go with the floral, but it just didn't feel right.



 I finally decided to just go with only the floral prints and started cutting the triangles.  My makeshift project wall  was full in no time.  One of these days I must pick up enough flannel in one print for a more uniform wall...my husband is good enough to tolerate the in-progress quilt projects on the living room wall periodically throughout the year.  Once I filled it, he walked in the room and did a double take.  "Those aren't your usual color choices" was all he said.  It's good to know he notices the details =).


Once I sewed all the triangles together, I was a bit stumped regarding the border.  I tried some full bloom Kaffe Fassett prints, then, below, I tried an Amy Butler print (side note, I just discovered that she left the fabric business!  Years ago!  That's so crazy!)  Anyhow, regarding the borders, nothing seemed to sit right.  It was like trying on clothes for an important event.  I tried over ten different fabrics!



Finally, I dug through a pile of backing fabric, and voila!  The perfect print to add a dreamy border to a floral field.  This one will be easy to quilt as well, since I just plan to follow the triangles when I stitch it up.


 And, for good measure, a shot of Yogi.  He is in the process of chasing Happy around the quilt.  

What more could a person ask for on Mother's Day?  Time with my sweet dude and husband and some crafty time with my sewing machine.  Good times, for sure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Miss Sawtooth- Part One

Little Miss Sawtooth--Part Two

Sawtooth Stars in the Night Sky